↑ Return to About Us

History

The first home of Twin Lakes Reformed Church.

Founded in 1873

Twin Lakes Church is one of the oldest Reformed Churches in Southwest Michigan. Public worship services at Twin Lakes began in October, 1873 with 52 charter members. Formal church organization took place on May 6, 1875. Church leaders were elected and presided over all church services until 1879 and from 1879 until 1909, Twin Lakes shared ministers with the Reformed Church in South Haven.

 

 

Interesting Facts about TLC:

  • All worship services were conducted in Dutch until 1919, when afternoon services were changed to English. It wasn’t until 1929 that all services were conducted in English.
  • The first church parsonage was built in 1917 for $1,115 and a horse barn was converted into a garage.
  • A new church building was erected in 1946 and the old structure was sold to the Cooper Baptist Church and moved to another location.
  • Twin Lakes Cooperative Nursery School began in 1977 in an attempt to meet the growing needs of the community.